Wednesday 12 November 2008

things.

I realize that you cannot all read my mental blog that I’ve been keeping recently, with it’s “pages” filled to the margins with things I’ve been thinking about lately. Things I’ve realized only since I’ve been here, things that have made me say “only in Israel” so many times, things I will never have the chance to do again that I am so lucky to have been able to do once, things that bug me about this place and things that keep bringing me back begging for more.

Thing I’ve been wondering about the most/ want to invent:
How much happier and more peaceful would this world be if we all had subtitles constantly running underneath our chins while talking to people who speak different languages, and for that matter, people who speak the same language. Communication would not be an issue (language wise) and getting lost in translation would be a whole lot harder to do, and my work day would be so much more efficient without having to check the Hebrew-Russian-English dictionary every time I wanted to have a decent conversation with someone. Genius right? Watch out world, I think I might have just spilled the beans on my most brilliant plan yet. Who needs online translators anyways?

Priceless things:
Being a part of this …..
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1225910067293
Speaking of lost in translation, I may not have understood most of the speeches by the Prime Ministers, Presidents, daughters, friends, politicians, etc but being one of 100,000 people packed into one (large-ish) city block in Rabin Square singing, drumming, and remembering a man who was one of this nation's greatest builders was an experience never to be forgotten, just like the man himself. Rabin, who was murdered 13 years ago, served Israel well, with devotion and wisdom, as a soldier and as a politician and you could tell from the feeling in the crowd that night. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience, only made better by the impromptu drum circle I jumped into after, priceless. And any man who’s famous motto was 'yes to peace and no to violence.' Is alright with me.

Things that bug me:
Israeli doctors…. “emmm, I sink you chev stuffy nose. Chere’s prescript. Go get entibeeotics” 140 shekels and about 5 minutes later…

Things that I will beg for after being back at home for probably less than 24 hours, maybe even on the plane ride home:
Smelly outdoor markets with old Israeli men calling out “I love you, Motek” because apparently I am not as Israeli looking as I thought I was, multicultural Shabbats in Jerusalem that always feel like I am in another world for 24 hours, Israeli attitude that I hate so much but love at the same time, these people (obviously), not a SINGLE Starbucks in the entire country, tea with mint- real mint, israeli hospitality, everything is always “beseder” (alright, ok, good), the really horrible and definitely not kosher styles in wedding dresses, having something/someone in common with almost everyone, Asians speaking Hebrew everywhere instead of “engrish”, kosher McDonalds meat (that I still refuse to eat but love the principle anyway), and being wished a “B’tayavon” (Bon Apetite) even if I am only putting a piece of gum into my mouth, and so so much more. 5 more weeks to enjoy it and I plan to do just that.

For as long as I have long bus rides and work days to ponder random thoughts, more “things” to come…

B’Ahava

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you've had a good time. i can't wait to be there myself...too bad you smell and are leaving when i'm coming